St. Patrick's Day is coming! Celebrate safely with your canine companion
- First, keep all party fare away from Fido and Fluffy. The food and alcohol humans typically enjoy on this day is very unlucky for your pet.
- Typical St. Patrick’s Day fare – especially corned beef - is high in salt, which can inflict gastrointestinal distress (such as vomiting and diarrhea) to neurologic issues, ranging from depression and possible seizure.
- Alcohol is even worse. It doesn’t take much to a dog or cat to get alcohol poisoning, since they’re so much smaller than us. Keep alcohol away from your pets at all cost.
- If you’re throwing a party, make sure your pet has a “safe room,” away from the crowd.
- I can’t believe I’m about to write this but if you’re going to dye your pet’s fur, be sure you use a pet-safe or pet-specific hair coloring.
- If you’re putting a costume on your pet, be sure it fits properly and it doesn’t obscure vision or breathing. Also make sure there aren’t any small costume pieces that Fluffy or Fido can nibble on.
- Finally, watch out for drunk drivers. Make sure your pet wears a light-up or reflective collar. Make sure your dog is on a leash and your cat stays indoors.